Sunday, August 01, 2004

Comic update

Nothing much done, I think the deadline is officially blown. I did do some work yesterday, though and judging by the weather here, I might as well stay indoors all day. I have been doing stuff, but it's just been at a very patchy rate of progress and I've got the sneaking suspicion that the quality is trailing off a little (which is bad news as I'm not convinced that the quality was that high to start with) as my interest diminishes.
I'd like to post the artwork up here, not because I'm proud of it, but it might give a better sense of what I'm doing. I'm sure it's easy to post it up, but I don't know how to do things like thumbnails linking to larger images, so the posts would be quite big, which could be a problem. Also maybe I should wait until the pages are actually finished.
Anyway, what I've got done so far....
Page 1 This one's pretty much done. There's a face that needs inking in one panel - it's very small, I have no idea why I haven't done it, possibly because it looks a bit fiddly.
Page 2 Finished.
Page 3 Needs one very small panel pencilled and inked. It's a close of a foot on a brake pedal, I have no idea what a car break looks like (can't drive), but I guess the picture will mainly be leg and foot, so after I peek through someone's car parked on the street outside this page'll be done.
Page 4 Needs one panel (pretty small one) done from scratch and 4 small panels need inking. The panel that I have done on this page takes up almost the entire page with all the others being small inset ones, so this is a fairly easy page to finish.
Page 5 Two panels out of five finished, the other three are mostly pencilled and inked, jus a few bits and pieces need finishing.
Page 6 One panel needs finishing, it's all pencilled and mostly inked.
Page 7 There's not a lot done on this page, but it's part pencilled and the rest is fairly detailed roughs.
Page 8 Nothing, but one panel is mostly black and repeats elements from page 1 (it's a big panel too) and the other 2 panels are fairly basic, so it shouldn't be too hard.
As you can see, it's the last 2 pages that are really letting this down, hopefully I'll have pencilled them by the end of the day. Also lots of stuff is 'finished' there's also the 'fine tuning' that needs doing, which is basically going over it all tidying mistakes, adding detail where needed and general tinkering.
With a bit of luck I might get it all finished in the next few days - I probably could get it finished by today if I really knuckled down, but I just can't work up the interest, I'm back at work tomorrow, my wife's off (we rarely get the same day off..... is this the first time that I've mentioned her? Oh dear, I think it is. Sorry Rebecca) so I'd rather not spend the day hunched over the drawing board. Just a few more days and it'll be done, then I'll stop going on about it, I promise.

1 comment:

paul said...

look, i don't understand this compulsion, but i keep looking at this post and really wanting to know how far you've got. it's almost as though i give a toss or something!

also, just seen on newsnight, that the maus guy has a new book out about 9/11: "under the shadow of no towers". looks really good, have you seen it yet?