Monday, November 01, 2004

back from my travels

After a nice little holiday in Amsterdam I'm back again. Amsterdam was lovely and even if you are hopelessly square like I am there's still plenty to see that doesn't involve sex and drugs. The hotel we stayed had internet access but I only went online once to delete the dozens of spam emails I knew were waiting for me and to quickly see what Danny and Paul, my blogging buddies, were up to. Apart from that I kept away as I spend too much time online anyway and I just didn't feel like blogging.
As well as no blogging there's been no writing and no drawing, and no guilt about it either. It was nice to not bother doing any of the usual things I do, that's what holidays are about aren't they?
All good things come to an end though and it's been a fairly long break and I'd be lying if I said I didn't think about writing and drawing all the time I wasn't doing it.
------------------
Christmas is coming and already I feel the tightening around my chest that comes with the thought, 'What presents shall I buy?' The question 'What do you want?' also brings about the same stressful grip. I really do like Christmas, it's dulled slightly by decorations being put up too early, shops forcing it down my throat since September, and so on. I don't believe it's a time when mankind puts aside it's differences and joins hands for one great big sing song either. But I do like being outside at night and feeling the crisp almost electric charge in the air that makes my skin tingle and reminds me how I felt when I was a little kid and knew utterly that Christmas was a magical time, the best time.

1 comment:

Danny said...

Yeah... Christmas is coming. See what you mean about the heinously early shop decorations (they should be barred until at least November 1st I reckon, it takes the sheen off, doing it too early). I'm really not looking forward to the shopping part, but the whole mid-winter festival of light thing I really, really love. Especially the fact that the biggest event in the Christian calendar couldn't be more pagan if it bunged you in a Wicker Man and set you on fire.

What it means to me now is a day off with Nic and the cats, eating a stack of food, watching movies and exchanging gifts, and not going anywhere else.