Sunday, October 02, 2005

Booksbooksbooks

Paradise Kiss is a shojo manga title and quite a sweet one, following the trials and tribulations of a group of fashion designers and the square (but pretty) girl who falls in with them. Any comic that quotes Velevet Goldmine is tops in my book.
A while ago I talked about my love of creepy stuff and mentioned Charles Burns, well, the collection of Black Hole is out and I finally get to read the full story. Burns work is disturbing, but in a good way.
Secret of the Crocodiles is the first in a series of books starring Lady Violet Winters written by the excellent Karen Wallace, I reckon Danny would like this one.
The Little Gentleman is by Philippa ‘Tom’s Midnight Garden’ Pearce and I only bought it yesterday after reading a right up as part of The Guardian children’s book awards. It’s about life and death and a talking mole, so I just had to buy it. The winner of the Guardian award was The New Policeman by Kate Thompson but I couldn’t get hold of it, I’ll get it in in a week or so and add it properly.
The story of Action is as fascinating as the comic itself, the best place to find out about it on the net is as Sevenpenny Nightmare Sevenpenny takes a lot of it’s information from the Martin Barker book I’ve linked to (nice to find out it's worth so much! Not that I'll be parting with my copy) and is a great resource to a comic with an important history. Action was brilliant and much missed.

10 comments:

Danny said...

Ta for the heads up, Paul, I reckon I would really like that one! Speaking of Charles Burns there was an ace interview with him one of that stack of Rue Morgue issues I keep forgetting to send you...

PS I reckon you could probably get a couple of pence off Amazon for the linkage, if you're not already.

paulhd said...

I've seen sites that link properly to amazon and supposedly get a bit of cash and I suppose I should do it properly but I'm not sure I'm that bothered, Idoubt there's much money involved and I recommend just looking at amazon for information then buying the book at a proper shop anyway.
Glad you like the list idea Reece, look forward to seeing what you add - it'd like a little book group, fancy joing in Danny, anyone?

Nimiwey said...

I'd have to order books you recommend offline methinks...I'm not sure I could get them in American books stores. I'm looking for a novel that's a good read. Any recommendations? I'm a big true crime fan as well.

Danny said...

Actually yeah... good idea! I think I'll whack a booklist on mine as well!

paulhd said...

I'm not really into true crime Nimiwey so I couldn't recommend anything along those lines, although I do like crime fiction (made up crime good, proper crime bad, an odd distinction, but there y'go), particularly the classics like Chandler, Hammett and Conan Doyle (always worth a look if you haven't already) Modern crime wise I do like Joe R. Lansdale's Hap and Leonard books (about a pair of Texan friends, one's white and a hopeless dreamer, the other's black, gay and of a surly disposition - the books are fun, funny, occassionally wise and brutal) and Newton Thornburg for 'Cutter & Bone' and 'To Die in California'. My 3 all time favourite books are 'The Man Who Was Thursday', 'Stone Junction' and 'Lord of the Flies' and I suggest EVERYONE reads those. Let me know what books you've read and enjoyed and I'll try and give you some recommends if I can, Danny might join in too (we both met working in the same bookshop) Look forward to seeing your booklist Danny.

Nimiwey said...

OK, Lord of the Flies, incredible, I love things that like that depict the darkness of the human psyche. An old grade school pal of mine was in the movie, and that inspired me to read the book. True crime is my favorite, I read about serial killers and such then great freaked out and leave the genre alone for a while!

Danny said...

Actually one true crime I did read and 'enjoy' was Killing for Company by Brian Masters, his biography of the North London serial killer Dennis Nilsen. Kind of like the Boston Strangler re-written by Morrissey...

paulhd said...

I much prefer reading fiction myself, although I would like to read more non-fiction. The Witch book you listed is one I wouldn't mind a look at sometime Reese and there's a lot of 'we're all going to hell in a handbasket books' that I'd like to read too.
Lord of the Flies really is incredible, Nimiwey. If you like dark explorations the you can't go wrong with Albert Camus, I remember loving The Plague back when I read it. Donna Tartts' Secret History is a bit of an obvious recommendation but is still worth a look if you haven't already read it.

Gopher said...

I have that Secret History and I have no idea where it came from... It's been on my bedside table for some time waiting to be read...

paulhd said...

That was from me Gopher.