Thursday, March 22, 2007

Powergirl


Okay, I know very little about Powergirl other than she's been blessed with a really bad costume. But in connection with the Supergirl meme there's a new meme to save this postergirl for hormonal boys.
I'm mainly doing this because I suck at drawing females, too much time spent drawing
2000ad characters with clenched teeth (them, not me), this gives me an excuse to practice.
My version keeps the colour scheme, the hair and the idea that her cape is held on with a sort of sash thingy. Oh, and the heck bits pretty similar. other than that I just went with something that hopefully makes her look powerful yet feminine (not sexy, which I think her original costume was meant (and failed) to do.
The sketch shows an early cape/dress idea the my wife liked, so I'm posting it to keep her happy.

7 comments:

thekelvingreen said...

I like yours, and I'd love to see you do the dress/coat version too, but I don't think I have anything to "say" about Power Girl, so I'll leave this one alone.

Danny said...

Yeah - I don't know this character at all, but after a cursory Googling this is way better than the w**k fodder most artists seem to turn out. Her hair kind of reminds me of Starbuck's... Good work!

Danny said...

PS - You using a new art package?

paulhd said...

ooh, Starbuck (clearly we are talking 'new' Starbuck here!)
Old art package still in use, I tried a filter on it to soften the pixel-y edges, but it was a pretty severe filter and I'm not sure it's an improvement.
Still planning on doing the dress/coat version kelvin, but our little girl has been taking up my spare time.... and the postman delivered some comics for me! 'My Dead Girlfriend', well worth a look.

I. N. J. Culbard said...

Excellent.

Andrew Glazebrook said...

What is she holding up, a giant Malteser ?! :) Cool work !

paulhd said...

Duh, it's a normal size malteser, she's just very small. Bet you feel silly now:)