Monday, June 11, 2007

Marv... Miracleman


This went through sooo many different versions, and I'm still not happy with the end result - think I prefer the penciled version to the colour. I think this as good as it'll get, trouble is, it's boring! Reckon my love of the comic's made me a bit too reverential.
The whole religious tone of the pose seemed to be a given, as did trying to make MM look elegant and graceful, more ballet dancer than superhero. I'd thought about putting the sun or Earth in the background but went for flat colour and ripped off one of Barry Windsor-Smith's covers, hey, if it's good enough for BWS! There's been some amazing art associated with MM, Garry Leach, Alan Davis, John Totleben (my own favourite) and that's not including some great work on the original run.
Anyway, I tried to do this nearly 2 months ago and planned to write a little article to go with it. Now that the picture's done I'm not so sure the web needs another Marvelman article or what I'd add to it, so go here if you want to know more about the last word in superheroes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE THAT PICTURE! MM is just the best thing ever, and that's a marvellous miracle of a picture. I likes the sparklinesses.

paulhd said...

Thanks Jason! What's MM without his tinkerbell effect? Nothing.

Andrew Glazebrook said...

Great pic but he reminds me of Automan !! :)
http://www.80skid.com/images/AutomanPhoto10.jpg

paulhd said...

ha, he does a bit. Got a feeling Automan is only any good in my memories.