Thursday, July 12, 2007

Zardoz



Okay, I give up. Think this is as good as I'm gonna get it without starting from scratch. There's two big mistakes here. One was with the colour, I was aiming to do something with a limited palette and then throw the big red nappy and 'x' into the mix to make it jump out. Good idea, I think, but I haven't pulled it off, there's no contrast with the colours or shades. The other mistake was to fall under the spell of someone else's artwork. Still, a couple of important lessons there.
The original drawing had a few other figures in the background, but it distracted from Zardoz's big floaty head.
If you've seen the insanity that is John Boorman's 'Zardoz', you'll know that the phallic positioning of that gun is not accidental:)
BTW, haven't said this in a while, but all criticism is welcome.

7 comments:

I. N. J. Culbard said...

Excellent. Love the lighting and tone on the floaty head.

Do you color on a layer beneath the black line drawing?

paulhd said...

Cheers. Yup, seperate layer for linework, then lots for colours. Now that I can use them I go layer overkill TBH. Way to many steps at the moment until I get a bit more confident about what I'm doing.

thekelvingreen said...

I love Zardoz. It's so gloriously demented.

I think you've got a bit too "close" to it, and are being too hard on yourself. I think the red does jump out, and the positioning of the gun is a nice touch. I'm not sure what you mean about being too influenced by someone else though.

If ever they made the horrible mistake of doing a kids' Zardoz cartoon, it should look like this.

thekelvingreen said...

Nice textures in the "paint" too. I'm going to have to pick your brains on that.

paulhd said...

Thanks Kelvin. Definitely got too close to this one with umpteen colour versions.
As far as other influence, I tend to look at work by artists I like, and more importantly come up with solutions and ideas that jibe with what I'd like to achieve.
Nothing fancy to the painting technique, drop me a line (my email should be on my profile page) if you want to hear about it.

Andrew Glazebrook said...

NEAT !! Long time since I've seen Zardoz !

paulhd said...

Ta Andrew. Might be a long time, but once seen never forgotten:)